November 6, 2010

Lions, and friends and school, oh my!

SO, my plan to blog at least once a week fell flat on its face. However, we've been very busy and I have the pictures to prove it. The CP Homecoming game ended up being really fun, and Clover Park won. I went with my friend, Jen, and we met up with our friend, Tammy. CP is actually in the playoffs right now, which isn't a place they're used to being.

The weekend before Halloween Landon and I bundled up and went to Zoo Boo with some friends. It was a clear, beautiful day, but damn cold outside. Landon wore his skeleton outfit, but it had to be covered up by his snowsuit, so we just called him a pumpkin instead. The zoo was full of little people (kids, not midgets) dressed in their Halloween best. Even the animals were festive—the polar bears were playing with pumpkins and the otters were swimming with little squashes.

Landon was a lion for Halloween and was so darn cute. His costume was from The Children's Place, but I scored it at a children's consignment store for $4.50. What a steal! On Halloween, we visited Maile and Gabriel and finally met baby Lili, who is gorgeous. After our visit, my dad came over for chili, beer bread and apple crisp...a very "fall" meal.

Two weeks ago, Jim and I made the difficult decision to enroll Landon in daycare at a local church learning center. My mom had been watching him since I returned to work, but we felt that this was best decision for everyone and gives Landon the opportunity to be around other kids and be on a consistent schedule. It also allows my mom to enjoy the freedom of retirement.

The center does arts and crafts, music and family-style eating. Granted, we're not sure that Landon gives a hoot about art right now, but he loves music and remains a very polite, well-rounded eater.

There are five other babies, all boys, in Landon's class. (We're calling it "school" to hopefully set the stage for a love of learning. Plus, we think that sounds a lot better than daycare.) Turns out that I know two of the moms of Landon's classmates—one from work and one from my master's program. I met another one of the mom's who works for the district too. My friend Krista also just started sending her son there. He's in the toddler room, but Landon will join him as soon as he turns one.

Landon attended for two days last week and is doing really well. Jim and I dropped him off and picked him up together, which was nice, because we could support one another on this difficult day. Landon did really well. He looked around when we first got there and was intently watching the other babies before we handed him to his new teacher. She sat him down on the floor and he immediately stole a toy from one of the other babies and began having a great time. We said "bye bye" and gave him a kiss and then left. We peeked at him through one of the side doors and he didn't seem to care that we were gone. (He was surrounded by all of the toys at this point, so we knew that he was already staking out his territory.) I was proud that I made it out of there and to the car before I got emotional. But I managed not to cry.

Although he's only been there for two days, he already has some new tricks that he has picked up, which are quite amusing. For instance, he loves to shake his head "no," but he doesn't know what it means just yet. He is also a crazy bouncing man in his exersaucer now. There's one at school and one of the other boys jumps like crazy in it. We think he picked it up from him.

We are looking forward to a quiet November and are working on plans for Landon's first Thanksgiving, the First Annual Taylor Christmas Party and Landon's first Christmas. We want to establish some meaningful traditions that we can celebrate as a family and are really excited that the holidays are almost here!

No comments:

Post a Comment